2018 New Year’s Goals
2018 already? I kind of can’t believe it. With a new year comes all the things you hope to do. I’ve never been one for making New Year’s resolutions and trying to stick to them throughout the year. I think it’s hard, doable, but hard. Instead, this year, I’m setting some goals that I would love to accomplish in 2018. Something about this wording seems a little softer, allowing for more mistakes, letting myself work towards something as opposed to turning a switch and changing my behavior that’s been set in its ways for twenty-two years. I don’t know, maybe that’s just me. Anyway, here are 10 goals I’m hoping to accomplish in 2018.
- I’ve got a list of about forty books that are in all various stages of production. Some are just ideas, others have a couple chapters, some have a plot I’ve written out and never came back to. In 2018, I would love to move two of those off the “to-write” list over to the finished pile.
- I think I’ve said this every year and every year I’ve worked towards it. I won’t say I haven’t accomplished this goal before because I think every inch towards publishing is progress even if it’s just an inch. This year though, I’d love to make a huge stride. Whether that be getting an agent, more contacts in the industry, or best case scenario, getting published, I hope to take the next leaps into my dream career.
- My first year of blogging has been about 30% solo. I joined the InfluenceHer Collective, which has put me into contact with some amazing other bloggers. But this year, I want to take a more active role in the community by doing collaborations and fostering relationships with other bloggers.
- Every New Year’s
ResolutionsGoals list has to have “try new things”. It’s a must when the new year comes along. It’s also exciting because you never know what those new things are. (A couple new things I’ve done in the past couple of years: hang glide, jetski, wine festivals, wine tastings, traveled to new states.) Will I finally try sushi? (Highly unlikely) Or go skydiving? (Way, way more likely than me eating fish!) Whatever 2018’s new thing is, I’m excited to find out.
- The last couple of months, I’ve been going to the gym so my goal isn’t to start going. Instead, I want to start going more regularly. I’ll usually always go on Monday, and then I’d take Tuesday off because it was trash day. Go back on Wednesday, and then be tired and not go on Thursday or Friday. Do that do about two or three weeks and then stop going before starting the cycle all over again. I want to start going all five days all four weeks each month. Remember, it takes 30 days to make a habit and day one is already down.
- A couple months after I finished renovating an office, I started on my bedroom. I started by repainting and getting new furniture. But it’s been in a state of half-done for a while now. I want to finish it up and finally stop living out of a series of duffle bags. But recently, my family has decided that re-doing the entire house is a good idea. So as soon as I finish my bedroom, I’ll be taking over something else.
- After college, I wanted to come home and spend time with my family. But I’ve been thinking about where to go once I move out. I’ve always loved being in large cities so that’s where I’ll probably be moving to. Right now, I’m thinking Boston in the Back Bay neighborhood, New York City in the Chelsea neighborhood or Los Angles in no specific neighborhood yet. I’ve been spending my time searching apartment websites for places in each city and fallen one I’ve loved in each place so narrowing it down might be a little difficult.
- My college friends all live in Virginia right now and I’m the only one living in a different state. With all our schedules being so different, it’s hard talking and keeping in touch besides a couple Snapchats here and there and liking each other’s Instagram photos and tweets. This year I want to talk to them more even if it’s a burst session of text messages. I don’t want to fall out of touch with such great friends.
- Right now I know a little bit of French, Spanish, and American Sign Language. I’ve been thinking of learning something else as well as brushing up on the languages I know.
- I’m a huge procrastinator. Both with the blog and my book writing. I end up getting caught up and doing other things with the tab or the book open in another window. I also want to start doing things in advance so that I’m not doing blog post and chapters last minute.
I’m excited about what 2018 has in store! And I’m hoping that this year, these ten goals get accomplished.